Need a book or article that is not in our collection? We may be able to obtain a copy from another library and mail it to you via our interlibrary loan (ILL) service.
Place Request (ILLiad)
Placing a Request
- Check the Catalog/Google Scholar: Prior to placing your request, please check the catalog (for e-books) or Google Scholar@UI&U (for articles) to see if the UI&U Library has access to the item you are requesting. We are not able to accept requests for items that we have access to electronically.
- Check with a Reference Librarian: If you’re researching a topic, it may help to contact a reference librarian before placing your request. The library collection may already have e-books and articles on your topic that can be accessed immediately.
- Login/Register: Log into ILLiad with your MyUnion ID and password. The first time you login, you will be prompted to fill out a registration form.
- Submit a Request: After logging into ILLiad, select the media type (in the left-hand column, under new request) and fill out the request form.
- Returning Interlibrary Loan materials: Please place materials in a clean, well-taped cardboard box or padded mailing envelope and return them to:
Union Institute & University Library – Interlibrary Loan
28 Vernon Street, Suite 210
Brattleboro, Vermont 05301
Information & Policies
- Delivery Time: 1-2 weeks for print books and A/V materials. Journal articles usually arrive sooner via e-mail.
- Loan Period/Renewing: The loan period is 30 days, with some time lost in shipping. The loan period, and the option to renew, are set by the lending library and can vary.
- Cost: We process and ship the items to you at no cost, but you are responsible for the cost of return shipping.
- Lost Fees: Lost books are charged a non-refundable $50-$100 replacement fee, or higher as determined by the lending library.
- Please note: Obtaining textbooks and required readings through ILL is not recommended due to shipping delays and shorter loan periods. Many academic libraries will not lend textbooks and copyright restrictions limit our ability to obtain the same book for multiple students.
- Types of Materials Available Through Interlibrary Loan
||Books and articles to augment the resources in the Union Institute & University’s Library collection
|May be Difficult to Obtain
- Recently published items
- Films, videos, and audio books
||Textbooks and required readings
||Books already in our online collection (unless there is a demonstrated need)
Eligibility: Current Union Institute & University affiliates in good standing.* Students residing outside the 48 contiguous states of the U.S. only have access to scanned images or photocopies of articles and book chapters via our interlibrary loan department. For liability reasons, print books and any other physical items borrowed via interlibrary loan may not be mailed to students residing beyond this region.
*Special note about library privileges: When an item is overdue, it affects our ability to get interlibrary loan materials for other patrons. For this reason, interlibrary loan is a privilege restricted to patrons with a demonstrated record of responsible borrowing activities. In cases when individuals requesting interlibrary loan materials have a past record of consistent lateness in returning any circulating library materials, the library reserves the right to limit the number of interlibrary loan requests that will be processed at any particular time. In extreme cases of flagrant and chronic abuses of established circulation and/or interlibrary loan policies, the library reserves the right to deny access to interlibrary loan services altogether.